Form 1023, Form 990, Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, Policies and Much More!
Advising your clients through the thorny maze of eligibility requirements, permitted and prohibited activities, formation documents, application steps and other complexities of the 501(c)(3) application process can be challenging. In this focused legal course, experienced attorney faculty will navigate you through the onerous requirements, identify problematic issues and equip you with the necessary tools you need to ensure your client successfully obtains nonprofit designation from the IRS. Register today!
- Get up to speed with new legal developments in the nonprofit world.
- Understand the eligibility requirements for 501(c)(3) status.
- Learn key provisions for articles of incorporation and bylaws.
- Navigate your way through completion of Form 1023 and deadlines.
- Enhance your understanding of nonprofit governance, including common mistakes to prevent.
- Ensure your nonprofit's Form 990 is properly filled out and passes IRS scrutiny.
All times are shown in Eastern time.
- 2021 Updates: Form Changes, New Rules and Enforcement Activities
10:00 - 10:30, Samuel G. Coppersmith
- Nonprofit Governance: Current Pitfalls and Best Practices
10:30 - 11:15, Samuel G. Coppersmith
- Duty of Obedience, Loyalty, Care, Disclosure Standards
- Indemnification of Directors and Officers
- Preventing Top Nonprofit Governance Mistakes
- Highlighting Current Trends & Practices
- Preparing Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws and Policies
11:30 - 12:15, Tisidra Jones
- Incorporation Process, Procedure
- Articles of Incorporation: Key Provisions
- Bylaws: Key Provisions
- Key Policies and Procedures
- Mission Statement and Evolving Mission Issues
- Eligibility Requirements and Classifications
12:15 - 1:00, Samuel G. Coppersmith
- Eligibility to Apply for 501(c)(3) Status
- Public Charity vs. Private Foundation Classification
- Special Categories of Organizations for 501(c)(3)
- Establishing Tax Exempt Status with the IRS
1:30 - 2:30, Samuel G. Coppersmith
- Filing Purposes (Organizations Entitled to Claim 501(c)(3) Status Without Filing; Organizations Eligible to File the New Form 1023-EZ)
- Obtaining a Federal EIN
- Completion of Form 1023 (Application for Recognition of Exemption) and Deadlines
- IRS Processing Procedures; What the IRS is Looking for
- Traps for the Unwary
- Top Reasons for Application Denials
- Group Exemptions
- Re-Establishing Tax Exempt Status and Conversions
2:30 - 3:00, Michelle Huhnke
- Reinstatement of Tax Exempt Status
- Conversion From For-Profit to Nonprofit
- Form 990 and Accounting for Income from Unrelated Business Activities
3:15 - 4:00, Michelle Huhnke
4:00 - 5:00, Michelle Huhnke
- Attorney-Client Confidentiality
- Determining Who the Client is
- Disclosures to the IRS
- Client Communications
This program is designed for attorneys. It may also benefit accountants and paralegals.