Excellent managers are more than great leaders. They put people in positions that benefit employees and the business. They think deliberately and execute strategy to overcome obstacles.
If you’re ready to go beyond the basics to expand your skills and widen your perspective on broader leadership and strategic challenges and opportunities, this Accelerated Senior Management Certificate Program is for you.
Brought to you by SkillPath in partnership with Graceland University, this ALL-NEW virtual certificate program is a series of 5 LIVE, online, instructor-led sessions that provide you with the tools to increase your impact, taking your team, your organizations — and yourself — to the next level.
Engaged, active learning: Dynamic 3-hour sessions deliver lively, interactive training daily. Log into sessions from any device and you’ll still have time left in your day to put what you’ve learned into practice. Then if you'd like, you can report back to your instructor and fellow participants the next day to share your experiences and ask any questions you might have. This unique, feedback-enabled format helps to reinforce learning and strengthen your retention of vital concepts — so they stick.
Earn a Professional Certificate: By the end of the week, you’ll have the enhanced skills, knowledge and insights you need to be more successful in your leadership role. And you’ll receive a signed Certificate of Completion, along with a digital eBadge to display your new skills and competencies.
NOTE: To protect the integrity of this virtual certificate program, participants must attend this training with cameras on for the duration of the event. Please contact customer care prior to the event with any questions or concerns.
What You Will Learn
- Create an effective strategic plan and execution strategy to ensure positive results
- Effectively oversee a budget that contributes to your company’s bottom line.
- Consistently engage and successfully retain high performing employees
- Resolve conflicts positively and with confidence
- Master the critical behavior skills that win team trust
Program time: 5 days (15 total hours)
Day 1: Strategic Thinking and Effective Planning
- Explain strategic, critical and creative thinking and know when to use each
- Identify and overcome the obstacles to strategic thinking and planning within your organization
- Create a culture in which you and your colleagues think and work more strategically
- Incorporate proven strategic thinking and planning tools into daily problem-solving and decision-making situations
- Use the 3-phase strategic planning process to assess and adjust your organization’s direction
- Hold individuals and teams accountable for putting the strategic plan into action
- Monitor results to make sure your strategic plan is working
Day 2: Budgeting and Finance for Non-Financial Managers
- Compare and contrast accounting and finance
- Describe the role accounting plays in management and its impact on decision-making
- Discuss the different accounting methods that govern when to record revenue and expenses
- Create an income statement using the different accounting methods to report revenue and expenses
- Explain the main financial statements and how they work together
- Read balance sheets, income statements and statements of cash flow
- Use financial ratios to better understand each financial statement
Day 3: Managing Performance and Retaining Top Talent
- List the basic components of an effective performance-management process
- Align individual performance goals with organizational goals
- Develop standards of performance that signal when an employee succeeds
- Use human capital management as a tactical element in fulfilling your organization’s strategic goals
- Define engagement and retention as they apply to your organization
- Identify and eliminate the factors that make high performers leave
- Implement specific tactics and techniques for engaging and retaining high performers
Day 4: Approaching Conflict and Difficult Conversations With Confidence
- Describe what causes emotional reactions
- Identify and manage your emotional triggers
- Recognize and respond appropriately to others’ emotions
- Use assertive communication to overcome emotions and focus on solutions
- Establish boundaries for acceptable behavior during intense interactions
- Assess and remedy damage after a heated conversation
- Apply active listening techniques to unearth misunderstandings and gain deeper insight
Day 5: Excelling as a Highly Effective Department Leader
- Identify the critical behavior skills department and team leaders must master
- Gain team members’ acceptance and trust
- Help team members communicate better with each other, customers and you
- Examine the key characteristics of a successful department
- Plan and set achievable department and team goals
- Create a motivational team climate
- Facilitate team problem solving and decision making
- Conduct effective team meetings
- Discuss considerations for supporting hybrid and virtual teams
The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
SkillPath is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.