Adoption Law: Skip the Basics
Adoption is a significant milestone for all parties involved, with plenty of nuance and complexity in its process. In this comprehensive course, learn all about updated adoption laws, challenges surrounding them, and how to comply. Get answers to the toughest adoption questions regarding disability, surrogacy, post-adoption contact, custody rights, and more to help your clients as they discover a new stage in their lives - register today!
- Learn about the present challenges when dealing with ICWA and private adoption contracts.
- Navigate through ICPC and international adoptions to ensure a smooth transition process for all parties involved.
- Handle post-adoption contract agreements disputes.
- Protect the rights of both the adoptive child and parent during adoptive dissolution and/or a relinquishment of adoptive rights.
- Assist clients in securing custody rights and moving forward with relevant adoption procedures.
- Craft the ideal surrogacy agreement for your clients.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- ICWA Challenges
10:00 - 10:30, Lance D. Rich
- Independent Adoptions: Problematic Provisions, Post-Adoption Issues
10:30 - 11:00, Karen S. Law
- Disability and Adoption: Case Studies
11:15 - 11:45, Eric K. Johnson
- International Adoptions: Top Roadblocks and Immigration Issues
11:45 - 12:15, Karen S. Law
- Foster Adoptions
12:15 - 12:45, Karen S. Law
- Navigating ICPC
12:45 - 1:15, Meghan A. Bodie
- ART and Surrogacy Contracts
1:45 - 2:15, Eric K. Johnson
- Post-Adoption Contact Agreements: Enforcement, Disputes
2:15 - 2:45, Meghan A. Bodie
- Adoption Dissolution, Relinquishment of Adoptive Rights
3:00 - 3:30, Karen S. Law
- Custody Rights and Stepparent Adoptions, Grandparent and Third-Party Adoptions
3:30 - 4:00, Meghan A. Bodie
- Legal Ethics Issues in Adoption Law Practice
4:00 - 5:00, Lance D. Rich
- Client Communication
- Guarding Confidentiality (and HIPAA Considerations)
- Discrimination and Bias in the Adoption System and Access to the Adoption System
- Attorney Fees and Expenses
The program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.