A Step-By-Step Guide to Estate Administration
Whether you're new to estate administration or need a basic refresher, this course will provide you with a comprehensive overview of estate administration, including proper asset valuation and distribution, taxation, and account closing procedures. You'll also learn how to correctly deal with thorny estate administration debt issues, including jointly held assets, business ownership and complex tax issues. Equip yourself with real-life, practical knowledge to ensure you are fully prepared to handle the entire estate administration process from start to finish - register today!
- Learn how to meet every deadline, follow procedures and complete essential forms.
- Identify key estate administration pitfalls you need to avoid.
- Acquire strategies to ensure you can help your clients through every step of the probate process.
- Manage your client's entire estate administration procedures properly and effectively.
- Learn how to tackle complex estate administration issues such as tax issues, jointly held assets and will contests.
- Understand how to properly transfer and distribute assets.
- Explore proper procedures and processes when dealing with insurance claims and debt during estate administration.
- Gain a better understanding of the probate court's procedures so that you can avoid common pitfalls and mistakes.
- Get the latest information on allowances and elections against the will.
- Identify how to properly distribute assets to minors, surviving spouses and trusts.
All times are shown in Pacific time.
- COMMENCEMENT OF PROCEEDINGS AND INFORMATION GATHERING
8:30 - 9:15, Martha J. Patterson
- Appointment of Estate Administration
- Formal vs. Informal Proceedings
- Sample Letters of Authority
- First Meeting With Family or Designated Personal Representative and Determination of Heirs
- Written Fee Agreements
- Tips to Locate Information Quickly Using Online and Government Resources
- Dealing with Multiple States
- INITIAL STEPS TO THE ESTATE ADMINISTRATION PROCESS
9:15 - 10:00, Martha J. Patterson
- Understanding the Laws of Intestacy
- Sample Estate Administration Checklists, Forms and Required Notices Needed
- Interpreting Provisions and Terms of Art Found in Wills
- Using Disclaimers Correctly
- MARSHALLING ASSETS
10:15 - 11:00, Martha J. Patterson
- Procedures to Locating and Marshalling Probate and Non-Probate Assets
- Safe Deposit Boxes and Bank Accounts
- Real Estate
- Brokerage Accounts, 401Ks, IRAs, Pensions and Life Insurance Policies
- Sample Forms and Documents Needed
- Appraisers and Valuing the Property of Probate Estates
- HANDLING CREDITOR CLAIMS AND DEBT
11:00 - 11:45, Lisa B. Roper
- Sample Forms and Required Notices Needed
- Priority and Payment of Claims
- Late Claims and Contested Claims
- Steps to Ensure all Debt is Located and Handled Correctly
- What if the Assets Don't Cover the Bills?
- Bankruptcy and Foreclosure
- Selling of Assets and Properly Dealing with Creditors
- COMPLEX ISSUES IN ESTATE ADMINISTRATION
12:15 - 1:00, Lisa B. Roper
- Jointly Held Assets
- Spousal Claims
- Allowances and Elections Against the Will
- Handling Unmarried Couples and Stepchildren
- Will Contests, Trust and Estate Disputes
- Business Ownership
- Agency Problems Involving Guardianships, Conservatorships, Powers of Attorney or Other Agency Relationships
- HANDLING ESTATE ADMINISTRATION TAX ISSUES
1:00 - 2:15, Neal B. Jannol
- Examples of Forms Needed
- Federal and State Estate Tax Considerations
- Income Tax Issues for the Estate and the Heirs
- Resolving Disputes With Taxing Authorities
- Deductions and Exemptions
- How the Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Affects Your Clients
- Tax Deadlines and Handling Extensions
- Sales of Real Property
- DISTRIBUTION AND CLOSING OF THE ESTATE
2:30 - 3:10, Vincent M. Casiano
- Sample Forms, Agreements and Documents Needed
- Proper Transferring and Distribution of Probate and Non-Probate Assets and Timing of Distributions
- Real Estate
- 401Ks, IRAs, Pensions and Life Insurance Policies
- Distribution of Miscellaneous Assets (Automobiles, Jewelry, Etc.)
- Distributions in Kind
- Distribution to Minors, Surviving Spouse and Trusts
- Disposition of Unclaimed Assets
- Proper Settlement of the Estate
- Formal and Informal Estate Accountings
- Choosing the Appropriate Closing Procedure
- Compensation and Discharge of the Personal Representative
- ETHICS AND ESTATE ADMINISTRATION
3:10 - 4:10, Christine F. Beraldo
- Breach of Fiduciary Responsibility
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney-Client Privilege
- Fee Agreements