Avoid Preventable Mistakes During the Workers' Compensation Process
Working through a workers' compensation claim can be a long and tedious process that involves many outside parties and steps. Are you able to confidently represent your clients? Do you know what strategies to employ to prevent costly mistakes and attain the best possible results? Don't rely on your cursory knowledge of procedures and risks to get you through the case. Explore the comprehensive nature of a workers' compensation claim and know the process from start to finish. Register today!
- Review the latest legislative developments and case law updates.
- Understand how to comply with and arrange for Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements.
- Recognize the importance of correctly assessing the injury and case right from the start to avoid any costly or unnecessary legal expenses.
- Thoroughly prepare yourself and any experts for the hearing proceedings so that your case is ready for any cross-examination or conflicts.
- Know when it is advantageous to pursue an appeal.
- Understand how to sue for medical malpractice in conjunction with workers' compensation.
- Review the ethical considerations associated with workers' compensation cases, such as disclosure obligations.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Case Law and Legislative Update
9:00 - 9:30, Catherine D. Mollica
- Assessing the Injury and Case
9:30 - 10:00,
Catherine D. Mollica
- Workers' Compensation Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements (WCMSA)
10:15 - 11:00, Angelo P. Sevarino
- Compromise vs. Communication
- Low Dollar Threshold
- Calculating the Total Settlement Amount
- Submitting MSA's to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Settlement Methods and Mediation Practices
11:00 - 11:45, Angelo P. Sevarino
- When to Settle vs. Pursue a Claim
- Agreement for Settlement
- Compromise Settlement
- Contingent Settlement
- Combination Settlement
- Lump Sum Payments
- Full or Partial Commutation
- Negotiation Tips
- Pitfalls to Avoid
- Pre-Hearing Conferences
12:45 - 1:15, Edward T. Dodd Jr.
- Pleading the Case
- Complying with Deadlines and Orders
- Preparing for and Presenting at the Hearing
1:15 - 2:00, Edward T. Dodd Jr.
- Where and How to Locate Experts
- Rehabilitation Experts
- Preparing Your Experts
- Discovery Techniques
- Medical Examinations
- Evidence Admissibility and Submission
- Questions to Ask Witnesses
- Cross-Examining Experts
- Proving the Causal Relationship
- Agreed Proposed Decisions and Orders
- What Key Decision-Makers Look For
- Keys to Building and Winning Your Case
- Appeals Procedures
2:00 - 2:30, Edward T. Dodd Jr.
- When an Appeal Makes Sense
- Judicial Proceedings
- When to Sue in Conjunction With Workers' Compensation
2:45 - 3:30, Steven H. Cousins
- Product Liability
- Toxic Tort
- Third-Party Injuries
- Medical Malpractice
- Subrogation Considerations
- Recovery of Liens
3:30 - 4:30, Steven H. Cousins
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Communication with Injured Party and Medical Providers
- Conflicts Between the Insurer and the Insured
- Lawyer Liability
- Attorneys' Fees
- Fraudulent Claims and Misrepresentations