Adeptly Handle Governmental Legal Matters
Are you up to speed on local government law? Examine the disputes and challenges municipalities are currently faced with and listen as experienced faculty share their strategies and techniques for dealing with them. Get the information you need to prevent and resolve government problems - register today!
- Stay up to date on developing cases and legal issues in government law.
- Ensure compliance with public records access and retention laws.
- When do open meeting laws apply? Find out what situations and email communications constitute a public meeting.
- Explore ways to prevent and resolve public contract disputes and bidding protests.
- Avoid employment disputes: know what personnel policies municipalities should and shouldn't have.
- Examine the ethical considerations involved in public disclosure of government actions.
- Discuss the current challenges facing budget committees and the legalities surrounding creative cuts and allocations.
- Know the laws regarding government immunity and employee protections from costly lawsuits.
All times are shown in Central time.
- Open Meeting Laws
9:00 - 9:45, Karen White
- Overview of the Law and to Whom it Applies
- Required Content of Meeting Notices
- Exceptions to the Rule
- Email Communications
- Public Records Issues
10:00 - 11:00, Karen White
- The Public's Right to Access Records - and Exceptions to the Rule
- The Law Regarding Retention, Maintenance and Disposing of Public Records
- Issues With Electronic Records Retention
- Developing a Public Records Policy
- Human Resources Issues
11:00 - 11:45, Jessica Thomas-Albert
- New Developments in Employment Law
- Conducting Successful Employee Investigations
- Protecting Your Employees' Privacy Rights
- Improving Your Personnel Policies
- Budgets and Local Government Legalities
12:45 - 1:30, Henry Weber
- Public Contracts and Procurement
1:30 - 2:15, Susan N. Eccles
- Bidding Requirements and Processes
- Procedures for Payment
- Bid Protest Procedures
- How to Prevent Common Contract Disputes
- How to Resolve Common Contract Disputes
- A Current Look at Government Immunity
2:30 - 3:30, Chadwick W. Collings
- Overview of §1983 Litigation
- Types of Immunities
- Common Causes of Action
- Popular and Effective Defenses
- The Latest Evidentiary Considerations
3:30 - 4:30, Susan N. Eccles
- Privileged vs. Public Communications
- Conflicts of Interest
- Whistle Blowing: Duty to Report?
- Representing Clients After Public Service