Today, with affordable DIY layout and design software plentiful — and with the growing prevalence of digital marketing, social posts, blogs and Facebook ads — people without formal training are taking on more design tasks than ever.
But having a computer with desktop publishing abilities doesn’t make you a designer. If you find yourself in a position of designing for your organization, do yourself a favor and get familiar with the fundamentals of good design.
Graphic Design Basics for Non-Designers provides you with a working knowledge of practical design strategies, techniques and tips that will go a long way to making anything you create visually appealing and more likely to achieve results.
What You Will Learn
- Produce visually appealing flyers, brochures, social posts, ads and more
- Become familiar with the basics of good content design
- Use graphic elements to attract attention without detracting from the message
- Ensure all elements of your design are in harmony
- Create your own eye-catching designs with the free version of Canva®
Program time: 3 hours
Session 1: What’s Your Plan?
- Lay a solid foundation for every document you produce
- Know what questions you need to ask before you begin
- Identify your target audience
- Align your design with your purpose
- Produce targeted documents or publications that spur action
Session 2: The Building Blocks of Great Design
- Create a flow and balance that guides the reader through your document
- Select and appropriately use color, photos, charts, graphics and more
- Understand the factors to consider when choosing a typeface
- Apply design techniques that support your content’s purpose
- Increase readability using headlines, subheads and other key elements
Session 3: Using Canva® to Create and Publish Engaging Content
- Know how to choose and customize a template
- Build a template from scratch
- Collaborate with others on any design project
- Create and share professional-looking content
- Create eye-catching design with the free version of Canva